/

Como – Former Judicial Prisons

The building, which is part of the historical centre of the city of Como, is composed of two cubic bodies, of three and four floors. The two buildings are connected by a wing of less depth on three floors, which faces west with a porch on the ground floor with upper loggias with lowered arches, currently closed by metal doors and windows, set on wide pillars.

Share:
Via Giovio, 50/52 - 22100 Como (CO)

Details

Property type
Commercial, Residential, Hotel and leisure
Total GIA (m²)
Year of construction
1760
State of maintenance and repair
To be refurbished
Occupation status
Vacant

The building, which is part of the historical centre of the city of Como, is composed of two cubic bodies, of three and four floors. The two buildings are connected by a wing of less depth on three floors, which faces west with a porch on the ground floor with upper loggias with lowered arches, currently closed by metal doors and windows, set on wide pillars. The building has constructive and architectural features with a solid brick bearing structure of considerable thickness. The external fronts are characterised by a smooth ashlar finish, extended to all surfaces, which gives the entire building an image of power, solidity and impenetrability in keeping with its original intended use and in harmony with other examples of the period’s military architecture.

It is a real estate complex of artistic, historical and archaeological interest dating back to the nineteenth century used as a former prison building. Originally the complex was joined to the Court (Palazzo Volpi now Pinacoteca Civica di Como), subsequently sold to the Municipality of Como by deed of 1877.

The property is located in Como, a tourist town in Lombardy famous for the lake of the same name and an international tourism destination linked to the natural scenery of the landscape, the presence of monuments and Renaissance architectural buildings of remarkable beauty. Surrounded by shops and boutiques often linked to the production of silk fabrics, guests will be able to enjoy various exhibition points dedicated to the Como industry and its artisans.

The former judicial prisons are located less than 1 kilometre away from the lakefront and 1.2 kilometres from the Como San Giovanni station. The Como-Brunate funicular leading to panoramic points at a height of 700 m is about 7 km away and can be easily reached by local means of transport.

Contact

ICE - Italian Trade Agency

Request info

Floorplan

Como – Former Judicial Prisons Floorplan