Are you a member? /

Siracusa – Military Infirmary – Former Caldieri Barraks

Renovated in the 19th century. Two monastic corpuses merged into a homogeneous whole. The dividers shape the internal space generating a sequence of compartments communicating with each other and distributed in an inverted "T" shape, mainly facing the internal courtyard. The articulation of the rooms follows a classic pattern that in the nineteenth century was translated in private homes as suites of rooms, without compartments used for the hallway. The distribution criterion has been remodelled to be more in line with the sanitary use for which the complex was intended.

Lungomare di Ortigia; Via Santa Teresa, SNC - 96100 Siracusa (SR)

Details

Property types
Barracks
Permitted uses
Office
Land area (m²)
2,694 m²
Total GIA (m²)
Total GLA
Contracts and limitations

Used by the Superintendence of Syracuse which will return it before the concession contract.

Year of construction
XVI Secolo
State of maintenance and repair
To be refurbished/valorized
Occupation status
Free at the time of sales

Renovated in the 19th century. Two monastic corpuses merged into a homogeneous whole. The dividers shape the internal space generating a sequence of compartments communicating with each other and distributed in an inverted “T” shape, mainly facing the internal courtyard. The articulation of the rooms follows a classic pattern that in the nineteenth century was translated in private homes as suites of rooms, without compartments used for the hallway. The distribution criterion has been remodelled to be more in line with the sanitary use for which the complex was intended.

The property on the ground floor has a net surface of about 1,840.00 square meters. Two staircase bodies connect the floors that basically have an identical distribution scheme. The first floor has a net surface area of about 1,775.00 square meters. The building as a whole has a primary structural plant characterised by continuous masonry of plastered unformed stone, with perimeter walls and thick interior walls. A mixed system of roofing, flat and pointed, which ends at the tops of the compact block of the building, completing its structural configuration. From the outside, the compendium, which occupies almost the entire city block, is finished with painted plaster which, placed in poor condition, allows the underlying wall face to be recognised.

The property is located in the heart of Ortigia a few steps away from Castello Maniace

Connections:

Syracuse can be reached from Messina via the State Road 114 which also serves as a connection between the Catania-Syracuse motorway and the Syracuse-Gela. Syracuse is a head station and railway terminus with long-distance train traffic to the stations of Reggio Calabria, Naples, Rome Terminals, Genoa, Milan and regional trains to stations all over the island.

The port of reference is Catania, which is about 66 km away. Airway connection, for national and international flights, is provided by the airport of Catania “Fontanarossa” 50 km away. From there, daily connections to the main Italian and international locations are possible.

Ground floor
1840 m²
First floor
1775 m²

Renovated in the 19th century. Two monastic corpuses merged into a homogeneous whole. The dividers shape the internal space generating a sequence of compartments communicating with each other and distributed in an inverted "T" shape, mainly facing the internal courtyard. The articulation of the rooms follows a classic pattern that in the nineteenth century was translated in private homes as suites of rooms, without compartments used for the hallway. The distribution criterion has been remodelled to be more in line with the sanitary use for which the complex was intended.

This property is part of the project:

Lungomare di Ortigia; Via Santa Teresa, SNC - 96100 Siracusa (SR)

Contact

ICE - Italian Trade Agency

Request info

Floorplan

Siracusa – Military Infirmary – Former Caldieri Barraks Floorplan