Sant’Albinia Campsite is an area rich in greenery, not far from the sea, on the so-called Etruscan Coast, an area of remarkable touristic and naturalistic value, located in the municipality of Piombino. The campsite, with other adjacent lands of municipal property, could be enhanced by constructing tourist / hotel accommodation.
Sant’Albinia Campsite is very close to the coast and covers an area of 32,000 m². The current structure hasn’t been used in a while and is in mediocre conditions; because of the landscape and of the limitations declared by new urban regulation, it needs to be generally renovated. The regulations envision the possibility of integrating or substituting the campsite’s accommodation purpose with that of a hotel (with a maximum of 1000 beds), building structures which are energy-efficient and environmentally friendly, on a single floor, perfectly inserted in the rural context, using the “green roof” technique. The future structure could also include recreational, sport, commercial and catering activities, whose sizes will be based on the accommodating capacities permitted by the current regulations.
Sant’Albinia is located along the coast of the Etruscans, well-known for its immaculate beaches and for its vicinity to Elba Island, in the Municipality of Piombino (pop. 34,060), in the province of Livorno (pop. 337,951). The area is distinguished by its essentially rural context, rolling hills and rich in agricultural and farming businesses. The most significant touristic sites are the Baratti Gulf and Populonia Castle, and the archaeological site with the same name. The area is well connected by the national road network, by the SS-1 (Aurelia) that is 8 km away. The city of Piombino is 10 km away, with railway connections to Florence and Pisa. The Campiglia Marittima railway station, on the Rome-Livorno line, is 10 km from the site. Pisa is 100 km away, Florence 146 km, Grosseto 70 km and Follonica is 28 km.