Real estate property of notable historical-artistic and cultural interest, built at the end of the 19th century, located in the municipality of Reggio Calabria. The building, a former ammunition depot, was built in a hilly position, overlooking the Strait of Messina, with a splendid panoramic view of Etna and the Aeolian Islands. The property, despite being in a state of abandonment, maintains its original typological and formal characteristics intact; its redevelopment will have to take place through a multi-year use concession, without being alienated.
The ammunition depot was built between 1884 and 1890 at the behest of King Umberto I of Savoy, and is part of the defence system of the so-called “Forti Umbertini” considered as a unitary defence system. The property consists of a stone building of about 3,700 sqm totally underground, with a green roof containing a series of openings that act as aerators and support for the artillery batteries, inserted in a vast area that extends for 35,700 sqm. The artefact has great cultural value for the history of Italy in the 19th century, representing, at the same time, an historical-artistic testimony and a rare example of military engineering work.
The real estate property is located in the suburban area of Reggio Calabria (population 170,951), in the Catona district, north of the historical centre of the city. The building, of notable historical-artistic interest, was built in a hilly position and enjoys a splendid panoramic view of the coast, of Etna and of the Aeolian Islands. Catona overlooks the Strait of Messina and borders to the north with Villa San Giovanni, whose port is the main ferry terminal for Sicily. The property can be accessed from Via Militare 34, with rapid entry onto the A-2 motorway (Salerno-Reggio Calabria), from the Arghillà exit; the area is located about 40 km from the Aspromonte National Park (60 minutes by car). Reggio Calabria railway station, which guarantees connections with the cities of Cosenza and Lamezia Terme, as well as with the main metropolises of central and northern Italy, is located 11 km from the property (10-15 minutes by car), while the “Tito Minniti” Strait Airport, is 16 km from the area (15 minutes by car).