The complex has been built in the 19th Century to replace a preceding gunpowder factory built in the mid -17th century by the Republic of Genoa, according to the local industrial war tradition. The complex historically precedes the creation of the district Lagaccio, one of the most highly urbanized and densely populated areas in Genova.
After the acquisition of the area by the City, the redevelopment plan has come to the enforcement phase. It provides for the opening of the industrial and military zone by the creation of a new public park that shall strengthen the relation with the upper part of the district, the nature conservation area Parco dei Forti. New green areas, playgrounds, sports facilities and gathering spaces are also provided for.
The new public park and the planned station “Lagaccio” of the cableway connecting the seaside with the forts offer the occasion for a wider redevelopment of the area with the planning of further outdoor sports facilities and cultural activities.
The complex includes different buildings, some of which are of historical and artistic value, but in bad maintenance condition.
Building A: former barracks, building protected due to its historical and architectural value. Located at the main entrance of the new park, it develops on four levels above ground for a surface area of 9300 sqm and encloses a yard. It has very different rooms that therefore can been destined to different uses: residence (private apartments, for students or researchers, or cohousing), hostel, shops, crafts, practices, or various services.
Buildings D and E: former workshop and garage. The building D consists of one storey above ground, about 10 m high, with a surface area of 851 sqm. The building E is as high as D but consists of two floors above ground (a ground floor and a small first floor of 75 sqm) for a surface area of 1648 sqm. Due to their height and brightness, these buildings are particularly fit to house sport activities (gyms and multipurpose courts).
Buildings F and G: former bullet factory. The building F consists of one storey above ground ,11,40 m high, with a surface area of 1682 sqm. The building G is protected and consists of one storey above ground and two entresols, it is 13,70 m high and has a surface area of 4292 sqm. The “twin” buildings have large open spaces that are fit to be used for manufacturing activities, services, coworking, as well as sport facilities (the width of 13 m enables even the construction of a regular volleyball or padel court), gyms or cultural activities.
The building is in a panoramic position near the railway station of Porta Principe.
Other strengths are the easily accessibility (the future cableway station) and the already secured external park. Lagaccio is one of the most densely populated districts of Genoa. The buildings have wide open spaces and remarkable heights (up to 13 m).