The lighthouse Capel Rosso is situated on the island of Giannutri, in the Tuscan Archipelago, in the Municipality of Isola del Giglio (GR), in an area of particular natural interest where different activities characterized by the attention for the environment can be developed. Except for government uses, the entire estate has a tourist accomodation intended use, with the possibility of high cultural value initiatives, for example connected to scientific and/or environmental research and education, and especially in relation with the historical and natural context.
The estate, consisting of the lighthouse and the keeper’s accomodation, is over 70 years old and therefore subject by law to historic-artistic restrictions according to Legislative Decree 42/04. The lighthouse of Giannutri is subject to environmentally protective restrictions, and the transformation of the compound is subject to the limitations imposed by the urban planning of the Municipality of Isola del Giglio and to the ones imposed by the Arcipelago Toscano National Park.
The island of Giannutri, about 3 km long ad 500 m large, has a jugged rocky coastline with coves and caves, and there are only two docks: Cala Spalmatoio to the south-east and Cala Maestra to the north-west. The lighthouse Capel Rosso, whose construction started in 1861, was activated in 1883. It consists of an octagonal tower in white and red masonry that rises over a quadrangular base right next to the main rectangular building, also in white and red masonry, which in former times housed the accommodations of the lighthouse keepers before its definitive automation. The tower has an internal gallery and a summit terrace which is the base of the metal grey lantern, flanked by the photovoltaic panels that power the lighthouse. The concessionaire will be selected according to the criteria of a sustainable tourism in terms of optimal use of natural resources, respect for the essential ecological processes, conservation of natural heritage and biodiversity, preservation of traditions, enhancement of local identity and characteristics. The new touristic-cultural structure can become a reference point for the discovery of the archaeological areas, for diving, for hiking along the trails, for the enjoyment of sea and coast, always bearing in mind the unique environment and the conservation objectives.
The island of Giannutri is part of the Tuscan Archipelago, located about 8 miles south-east of Isola del Giglio and 6 miles south of the Argentario promontory, and is part of the Municipality of Isola del Giglio. About 3 km long ad 500 m large, it has a jugged rocky coastline with coves and caves, and two docks: Cala Spalmatoio to the south-east and Cala Maestra to the north-west.
In Summer Giannutri is accessible by a daily scheduled ferry service from Porto Santo Stefano, while in Winter the frequency of connections is reduced. The territory and the sea area are protected by the Arcipelago Toscano National Park, there are no hotels and camping is forbidden. The largest number of buildings are around Cala Spalmatoio.