Are you a member? /

Island of Pellestrina (VE) – Former Forte Caroman with Barbarigo defence battery

At around the end of the 18th century, the reduced Caroman looked like on-land site, closed, irregularly outlined with a perimeter protected by a moat that is still present today. The site, the layout of which can be dated between 1832-1842, was provided with the central structure known as Blockhaus in 1860 and, on the eve of the First World War, to strengthen the old fortification, the more modern Barbarigo Battery was built in 1912 and the pre-existing Napoleonic works were demolished.
It has belonged to the UNESCO "Venice and its Lagoon" site since 1987.

Isola di Pellestrina, località Cà Roman, snc - 30126 Venezia (VE)

Details

Property types
Other types, Free-standing building, Plot of land
Permitted uses
Other Functions, Hotel and leisure
Land area (m²)
29,807 m²
Total GIA (m²)
Total GLA
Contracts and limitations

-

Year of construction
1832-1842
State of maintenance and repair
To be refurbished/valorized
Occupation status
Vacant

It consists of a large area land, with an irregular shape, on which stands the fortified core comprising several buildings of various types, delimited by an artificial canal that is not connected to either the Lagoon nor the Adriatic Sea. It is subject to the restrictions set forth in Legislative Decree 42/2004 as ascertained by order dated 19/11/2018.

The fortification was built inside the fortified core, where the buildings date back to the early 1900s, which is accessed via a bridge across the artificial moat. On the sea front, artillery and reserve positions were prepared, defended by an embankment. There are then four buildings, with an almost rectangular floor plan, one floor above ground with a load-bearing structure in ordinary solid brick masonry and reinforced brick roofing and floor, used as barracks and storage. Lastly, positioned on the eastern front of the compendium, is the Barbarigo Battery. This final body of the building, developed with an almost rectangular plan, is built entirely in reinforced concrete with walls of considerable thickness capable of resisting artillery fire. It has, on the ground floor, a series of vaulted rooms opening onto the west elevation, connected by a corridor to the east of said rooms from which, by means of vertical shafts, ammunition was raised to the four heavy artillery emplacements located in rotating metal structures on the roof, which are no longer present today.
The site under discussion, which was decommissioned by the Ministry of Defence in 2007, is in a state of disuse and, given the lack of maintenance, it is in a precarious general condition.

The canal surrounding the fortification has only a defensive function and has no hydraulic value, given that it is not connected to the lagoon or to the sea; it is not to be considered as a maritime state property but as an appurtenant land.

There is no documentation proving the war reclamation of the site.

The compendium is located in the island context of the lagoon capital, specifically in the southern part of the Island of Pellestrina in Ca’ Roman. Joined to Pellestrina by the artificial dam of the “murazzi”, Cà Roman constitutes the southern edge of the shores that, from Cavallino to Chioggia, separate the Venetian Lagoon from the sea.
It is located within the Lipu Ca’ Roman Nature Reserve; being in an almost isolated position with respect to the town of Pellestrina, it is, however, provided by the public or local navigation transport system that connects Venice to the nearby city of Chioggia and is easily accessible by private boats in relation to its proximity of the mouth of the port of Chioggia.

A - Barbarigo Battery
823 m²
B - Barracks
216 m²
C - Barracks
52 m²
D - Barracks
23 m²
E - Barracks
104 m²
Fortified Core Appurtenant Open-Air Area
10779 m²
Land and Canal
17810 m²

At around the end of the 18th century, the reduced Caroman looked like on-land site, closed, irregularly outlined with a perimeter protected by a moat that is still present today. The site, the layout of which can be dated between 1832-1842, was provided with the central structure known as Blockhaus in 1860 and, on the eve of the First World War, to strengthen the old fortification, the more modern Barbarigo Battery was built in 1912 and the pre-existing Napoleonic works were demolished.
It has belonged to the UNESCO "Venice and its Lagoon" site since 1987.

Procedure

See contact details

Isola di Pellestrina, località Cà Roman, snc - 30126 Venezia (VE)

Contact

ICE - Italian Trade Agency

Request info

Floorplan

Island of Pellestrina (VE) – Former Forte Caroman with Barbarigo defence battery Floorplan