Are you a member? /

Vibo Valentia (VV) – District Prisons

Real estate property, known as District Prisons, located in the historic centre of Vibo Valentia, at the foot of the Norman-Swabian Castle now used as a Museum. The historic centre of the Calabrian city, an ancient colony of Magna Graecia, has in recent years been the subject of multiple redevelopment interventions carried out both by private individuals and by the municipal administration. The building will be redeveloped through a multi-year State leasing licence, without being sold.

via Michele Morelli, 21 - 89900 Vibo Valentia (VV)

Details

Property types
Historical building
Permitted uses
Other Functions
Land area (m²)
2,780 m²
Total GIA (m²)
Total GLA
Contracts and limitations

No Rental

Year of construction
1800 circa
State of maintenance and repair
Poor - To be valorized
Occupation status
Vacant
Risk profile

The building, a large monumental complex built in 1800, is located in the heart of the historic centre of Vibo Valentia, at the foot of the Norman-Swabian Castle, now used as a museum to enrich the cultural offer of the city. The location of the property offers new “slow tourism” possibilities in an area rich in history and natural beauty. The property, in a state of profound degradation and abandonment, does not fit well into the new urban structure of the city, which has recently seen multiple redevelopment interventions in the historic city centre. Originally used as a convent, it became a hospital and finally the Saint Augustine Prison, in the historic centre of Vibo Valentia. The property came to the State pursuant to Law 7 of July 1866 and was declared of historical-artistic interest by the Ministry of Cultural Heritage, with decree no. 18/2004.

The property is located in the historic centre of Vibo Valentia (population 31,177), capital of the province of the same name, nestled in the southern heart of Calabria, south of Cosenza and north of Reggio Calabria. The city appears to be like a squat peninsula that seeks the gentle embrace of the fish-filled Tyrrhenian Sea, sloping towards the coast in a triumph of olive groves and fragrant Mediterranean scrub. The Gulf of Saint Euphemia to the north and the Gulf of Gioia Tauro to the south lay siege to the hills and mountain ranges of the hinterland, softening the climate and gifting the area with almost eight months of summer, the season of Proserpina. In her honour, between the 6th and 5th centuries BC, the inhabitants of Hipponion built a majestic temple not far from present-day Portosalvo, praised in ancient times as one of the wonders of the world. Three hundred columns of Numidian granite and alabaster, according to some historiographers, delimited the portico and supported the wooden roof, giving the entire structure an unprecedented grandeur in the whole of Magna Graecia. Today, only the myth of that extraordinary construction remains intact which, unlike the temple, has resisted the passage of centuries. The “S. Onofrio-Vibo Valentia” exit on the A-2 Naples-Reggio Calabria motorway is approximately 8 km away from the property (10 minutes by car), while the “Vibo-Pizzo” railway station on the Reggio Calabria-Roma Termini line is located 7 km from the property (12 minutes by car); Lamezia Terme international airport is 40 km from the area (45-60 minutes by car).

Ground floor
1590 m²
First floor
1390 m²

Real estate property, known as District Prisons, located in the historic centre of Vibo Valentia, at the foot of the Norman-Swabian Castle now used as a Museum. The historic centre of the Calabrian city, an ancient colony of Magna Graecia, has in recent years been the subject of multiple redevelopment interventions carried out both by private individuals and by the municipal administration. The building will be redeveloped through a multi-year State leasing licence, without being sold.

This property is part of the project:

via Michele Morelli, 21 - 89900 Vibo Valentia (VV)

Contact

ICE - Italian Trade Agency

Request info

Floorplan

Vibo Valentia (VV) – District Prisons Floorplan