Are you a member? /

PALERMO – FORMER “REAL MADHOUSE”

Real estate complex, former psychiatric hospital and military prison, situated in the city of Palermo, close to the historical centre, near the Norman Palace, the university city and D’Orleans Park. The building, a construction that goes back to the 18th century, over time was used as a convent, psychiatric institute (Real Madhouse) and military prison: today in disuse, the property is in abandoned condition and needs important maintenance and requalification interventions.

Corso Pisani, 201 - 90129 Palermo (PA)

Details

Property types
Historical building
Permitted uses
Other Functions
Land area (m²)
3,581 m²
Total GIA (m²)
Total GLA
Year of construction
seconda metà 1700
State of maintenance and repair
To be refurbished/valorized
Occupation status
Vacant
Risk profile

The real estate complex, built in the 18th century, is made up of a main building that is on two levels and four buildings on one floor, and is realized in reinforced brick, following techniques adopted during the period of construction, with transformations that came to be over time to adapt the structure to a prison function. The General Regulation Plan in the Municipality of Palermo, classified as buildings situated in the area as “Net historic”, as a type “Building for a public institution”; “Building for cults, religious, assistance” and residential construction “Villas, beams, housing, farms”. The interventions allowed must have as objective the requalification and consolidation of the historical parts of the buildings and maintenance of the type characteristics. For this property, that is government owned, the previsions will be made compatible with the programs that the municipality wants to follow. The property was declared of Historical and Artistic interest and a decree of authorisation for concession was issued, as long as the use is compatible with the historical-artistic characteristics and typology of the building and the conservation was insured through a coherent, coordinated and programmed activity of prevention, maintenance and restoration.

The real estate complex is situated in the semi-central zone of Palermo (678,492 inhabitants), chief administrative centre of the Province with the same name (1,276,525 inhabitants) and the Region of Sicily (5,092,080) fifth city of Italy, and second in the south of Italy, for residential population. The city has an age-old history, founded as “city-port” by the Phoenicians between the 7th and 6th century B.C., and has a fundamental role in the history of the Mediterranean and Italy. The complex “Real Madhouse” is located along Corso Pisani, borders on the east side with via Lorenzo Ingria, on the west side with the church of S. Giacomo dei Militari and on the north with the barrack “Bonsignore”; it is close to Corso Calatafimi, important access that has public transport, that reaches the historical centre, from which it is about 1 km away. The railway station that guarantees connections with the main cities of Italy, is 2,5 km away while the port is 4 km away. The highway “A-19” (Palermo Catania) and “A-29” (Palermo Trapani), are easily reachable through Viale della Regione Siciliana, situated at 1.5 km away, while the International airport “Falcone e Borsellino” (10th Italian airport with 5.8 million passengers in 2017) is about 30 km away.

Building block 1 - ground floor
1120 m²
Building block 1 - first floor
1320 m²
Building block 2 - ground floor
1133 m²
Building block 3 - ground floor
73 m²
Building block 4 - ground floor
115 m²
Building block 5 - ground floor
68 m²
Implementing technical standards PRG - Net historic
Implementing technical standards PRG - general
Certificate of land use

Real estate complex, former psychiatric hospital and military prison, situated in the city of Palermo, close to the historical centre, near the Norman Palace, the university city and D’Orleans Park. The building, a construction that goes back to the 18th century, over time was used as a convent, psychiatric institute (Real Madhouse) and military prison: today in disuse, the property is in abandoned condition and needs important maintenance and requalification interventions.

This property is part of the project:

Corso Pisani, 201 - 90129 Palermo (PA)

Contact

ICE - Italian Trade Agency

Request info

Floorplan

PALERMO – FORMER “REAL MADHOUSE” Floorplan