Architectural Real estate complex named “San Domenico”, building of significant historical and artistic relevance declared as an asset of cultural interest, situated in the heart of the historical centre of San Gimignano, municipality which is part of the UNESCO World Heritage. The compendium which is of considerable dimensions and which is equipped with a vast external area, could be given further value through a reconversion project that foresees a mix of functions; recreational and touristic, cultural, food and beverage.
The former convent and prison of San Domenico is an articulated architectural complex, composed by a main body, that in ancient times was made up of a convent and then a penitentiary institute, within a brick fencing and an external portion of the building that hosted the working houses, to which a vast area of gardens of the nearby former convent and external to the building should be added. The San Domenico has carried out convent functions since its initial building, which goes back to the 14th century, until 1787, year in which the monastery was supressed, to then be destined to become a prison from 1833 to 1995, year in which it remained unutilized. The articulated conformation that is made up of a main body of the compendium is the result of further stratifications and extensions, beginning from half way through 300 to the second half of 900. The main body develops around a square cloister, within a brick fence. Outside of this fencing, but within the complex, there are two neighbouring buildings used as housing and a vast area called “garden”. The complex is recognized as being of historical and cultural value according to the Ministerial Decree 23rd June 1982 pursuant to article 822 of the Italian Civil Code and to what is foreseen in Legislative Decree n°42/2003 and following modifications regarding its protection and safeguard.
The real estate is situated in the historical centre of San Gimignano (7,780 inhabitants), municipality in the Province of Siena (268,341 inhabitants) that withholds many masterpieces of Italian artwork of the 14th and 15th century in their original architectural context, exceptional testimony of the Italian medieval civilisation as it detains, within its limited area, all the typical structures of urban life: squares and roads, houses and buildings, wells and springs as well as the 14 towers that, placed above its buildings, emphasize iconically the typical aspect of the Tuscan and Italian medieval city and its urban surroundings. The real estate complex of the former convent and prison San Domenico, due for development, represents more than 10% of the builders’development in the historical centre of San Gimignano and it extends itself along a territorial surface of 13,000 m². Inserted in the first brick fencing of San Gimignano, near Cisterna square and Duomo square, the complex represents its final point on via del Castello, one of the three main roadways that, with via San Matteo and via San Giovanni, characterize the urban structure of the city. Accessibility is guaranteed by a secondary roadway (SR 429, SP 69, SP127) from the Highway junction Siena-Bettolle and Highway A/1 that is 48 km. from this area (highway entrance Firenze Impruneta). The city of Siena is 42 km. away, Arezzo is 120 km far and Florence is 55 km. far.